Call for Artists 2023: Utility Box Art Program
The City of West Allis, in conjunction with West Allis Artscape Committee and in collaboration with West Allis Public Works, is seeking applications from artists for the City of West Allis Public Art Utility Box Program. We invite amateur and professional artists to apply, as well as artist teams and educational institutions. We will be selecting 10 different designs for the utility boxes. This program is made possible by the City of West Allis with Artscape Leadership Group funds.
• To increase awareness and understanding of local art
• To present an affordable and accessible art experience for people of all ages
• To enhance the quality of life for the citizens of West Allis
• To promote West Allis as a cultural destination for visitors, artists, and residents
• To provide a showcase for local artists
• Artwork will be created and then transferred to a vinyl wrap to scale the utility box
• Intent of artist’s design should be to wrap the utility box on all four sides
• Design may be duplicated on more than one side of the utility box
• Feedback provided by the Artscape Committee and City staff may alter the final design and positioning on the utility boxes
The selection committee will review the applications and select potential designs. Upon notification of selection, exhibiting artists will be required to sign an artist agreement. Some modifications to design may be needed to accommodate actual size and dimensions of utility box selected by the committee. A $500 artist honorarium will be paid for each final design chosen.
The City of West Allis selection committee will not accept any work involving profanities, advertising, a living person’s likeness without written and signed consent, plagiarism, political campaigns, negative messages, or otherwise unfavorable content. Please keep in mind that certain locations may have many submissions so a thoughtful explanation will help your design stand out.
• Staff welcome and encourage original and unique concepts and designs
• Localized art that highlights history and culture of West Allis is also appreciated
• Artwork is appropriate for viewing by residents and visitors of all ages
• Artwork criteria are met
• March 10, 2023: Deadline for all sketch and conceptual design submissions
• March 31, 2023: Selection notification to all artists
• May 5, 2023: Deadline for final design submissions
• June 1, 2023 – October 1, 2023: Installation
• Initial submission will be completed through Google Forms
• Name, email address, home address, phone number are required to complete the form
• Artistic resume and/or artist biography that highlights previous artwork and background on your artistic styles and inspiration.
• Include relevant examples of previous work.
• Final design for utility box (JPEG format or full-page PDF)
• Please provide a description and explanation for each design describing the themes, significant, inspirations, symbols, etc.
• If any design is for a certain location, please specify which location it is for.
• Each artist or team is allowed to submit three designs.
• Attachment file should be named using the following format: “Smith, John Utility Box Design 1”
Acceptable File Formats for Printing
• Vector Files: For best results, our recommendation is 300dpi, EPS (Encapsulated Post Script), PSD (Adobe Photoshop), AI (Adobe Illustrator), PDF (Adobe PDF), TIFF (High Resolution TIFF), EPS (CS4 or lower), AI (CS4 or lower), PDF If submitting these files be sure all fonts are converted to outlines or curves. Vector files can be submitted at any size proportionate to the final print size. Raster Files/Images: PSD (CS4 or lower), JPEG, TIFF, PDF.
• Raster files should be submitted using the following guidelines. -Full Scale at 100dpi - 50% Scale at 200dpi or higher -25% Scale at 300dpi or higher -10% Scale at 600dpi or higher
• Initial submissions can be sketches or conceptual designs and are not required to be completed pieces of work.
• Designs must be original work from the artist, but it is not required to be brand new and can be an earlier work from the artist.
• Keep in mind that designs may be in place for several years so artists should intend on creating something that will be tasteful in the present and in the future.
1. 75th & Greenfield 2. 72nd & Greenfield 3. 70th & Greenfield 4. 66th & National
5. 84th & National 6. 84th & National 7. 72nd & Becher 8. 76th & Becher
9. 79th & Becher 10. 60th & Burnham 11. 60th & Burnham 12. 71st & Lincoln
13. 76th & Lincoln 14. 84th & Lincoln 15. 60th & Grant 16. 60th & Mitchell
Pictures and dimensions are available for all utility boxes to be used as a reference.
• City staff will work with each artist to approve the design and modify it to fit the selected site.
• The City of West Allis, in conjunction with the Artscape Committee, reserves the right to photograph and reproduce images of the work for marketing and educational materials.
• The City of West Allis will promote the exhibit on the city’s website, social media accounts, and other media releases.
• Artists may be asked to participate in interviews or other promotional activities during the installation process.
Application & Template
• Complete applications must be received by March 10, 2023.
• Please submit all applications in the Google Form at City of West Allis Utility Box Program
• Feel free to use the City of West Allis Utility Box Template or your own template to show your design
Contact Carson Coffield, Development Specialist: firstname.lastname@example.org