Snow Emergency Parking RULES
WINTER PARKING RULES
City ordinance considers winter alternate side parking rules to be in effect anytime between December 1 and March 31, whether snow is on the ground or not. During this timeframe, major thoroughfares are not affected. Vehicles in violation may be ticketed and towed.
EVEN SIDE STREET PARKING
Please park on the even side of the street from midnight to 3 p.m. if the previous day was an even-numbered date.
ODD SIDE STREET PARKING
Please park on the odd side of the street from midnight to 3 p.m. if the previous day was an odd-numbered date.
EITHER SIDE STREET PARKING
You may park on either side of the street daily from 3 p.m. to midnight.
PARKING PERMITS REQUIRED
Please remember that nighttime parking e-permits are still required.
- When the City declares a major snow emergency, in addition to winter parking rules for side streets, there is no street parking allowed on the main streets until the major snow emergency is over.
MAJOR Snow Emergency
Any time we get over 3 inches of snow, the City could declare a MAJOR snow emergency. What does this mean?
A MAJOR snow emergency will be declared through radio, television, internet, text message, or other means by the Director of Public Works. You can even find out about MAJOR Snow Emergencies immediately by signing up for alerts sent directly to your phone. Just visit our Notify Me page, scroll to the heading named Alert Center, and sign up for notifications under Public Works News. That's it!
We declare MAJOR snow emergencies to make sure that we can quickly and efficiently plow streets. Keeping streets clear of large snow and ice piles makes it safer for all drivers, and ensures quick responses from other departments as needed, such as by Police, Fire, and EMS as well.
1-Hour Notice for Parking Correctly
When the City declares a MAJOR snow emergency, you'll see that declaration blasted on traditional media, social media, and the City website at least 1 hour before it's effective. It will say the start date and time, as well as the end date and time, of the emergency.
Note How Long Emergency Lasts
The Director will always choose an expiration date, and it will always expire at 3 p.m. on the date picked for the emergency to end. This allows the Director and crews to clear both sides of the street after snow has stopped accumulating.
How to Park - MAJOR Snow Emergency Parking Regulations
During a MAJOR snow emergency, here's what changes from normal parking rules:
- No parking on either side of main thoroughfares. This keeps important roads clear for emergency vehicles, buses, and others.
- On all other streets:
- Park on the even side of the street from midnight to 3 p.m. if the previous day was an even-numbered date.
- Park on the odd side of the street from midnight to 3 p.m. if the previous day was an odd-number date.
- The day after the emergency, between 3 p.m. and 11:59 p.m., normal parking rules apply. During these hours, there is no requirement to park on any particular side.
- An easy way to think about it is this: Our City plows have to clear both sides of the street. Residents and visitors make it easier for plows to come through when we stay on one side of the street, and then the other.
- The snow emergency will end at 3 p.m. on a date picked by the Director.
Why Does MAJOR Snow Emergency Parking Last Multiple Days?
You will probably notice that MAJOR snow emergencies last a few days after it stops snowing. This is to ensure the City can clear the streets as much as possible. We understand this is an inconvenience, but by adding on a couple of extra days, we can keep streets wider and keep more parking spots available throughout the winter.
Watch for "NO PARKING" Signs Any Time You Park
Make sure to comply with any "NO PARKING" signs, whether permanent or temporary. Any illegally parked vehicles can be towed without notice, so it's very important to keep these regulations in mind!
additional info on emergency thoroughfares
Please note you cannot park or leave any vehicle unattended on any of the Emergency Thoroughfares in the City, during a declared MAJOR snow emergency. There may be some permitted areas that have posted signs from the Common Council which allow parking on these Emergency Thoroughfares. Such signs shall state “Parking Permitted Between Signs During Snow Emergency” or words of similar effect and shall be posted so as to give reasonable notice of the permitted zone. All vehicles parked in violation of this subsection shall be promptly removed from such emergency thoroughfares immediately at the time when the declared MAJOR snow emergency takes effect. Emergency Thoroughfares shall consist of the major traffic, mass transit, and emergency vehicle routes in the City of West Allis.
- Get more information about snow and ice removal in DPW section.
- Sign up for snow emergency alerts by email or text message in Notify Me.
Vehicle Towing During MAJOR SNOW EMERGENCIES & WINTER ALTERNATE SIDE PARKING
Any vehicles violating the parking restrictions during MAJOR snow emergencies or winter alternate side parking may be ticketed and towed at the owner's expense. If your vehicle has been towed during a snow emergency, contact N & S Towing at 414-476-8697. N & S Towing is located near the intersection of 83rd and National at:
1719 S. 83 St.
West Allis, WI 53214