Health Department Inspection Information

The West Allis Health Department is an agent for the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture and Wisconsin Department of Health Services for the purpose of licensing, conducting inspections, and investigating complaints. All establishments are routinely inspected and re-inspected if follow ups are necessary to achieve compliance with all applicable regulations.


Wisconsin has an updated food code. The WI Department of Agriculture Trade and Consumer Protection has published a series of webinars and fact sheets to provide information about the updated food code. In addition you can register for Q&A Webinars from the above link.


Newsletters are sent out to operators with pertinent information quarterly throughout the year.


A Bed & Breakfast Establishment is defined as any place of lodging that provides 8 or fewer rooms for rent to no more than a total of 20 tourists for more than 10 nights in a 12-month period, is the owner’s personal residence, is occupied by the owner at the time of rental, and in which the only meal served to guests is breakfast. 


Inspectors work to decrease the risk of bloodborne pathogens such as Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C, or HIV from tattoo or body art practices, inspections are conducted to assure that tattoo, permanent makeup, and/or body piercings are done in a sanitary and sterile manner. 


The Weights & Measures Program works to protect West Allis consumers pocketbooks by monitoring retail businesses to assure that devices such as scales and scanners are accurately determining the price of goods sold by weight and gas meters are dispensing the correct volume


The pool owner is responsible to replace expired drain/equalizer covers and keep a log and any supporting documents on site for your health inspector to review. Expired drain covers must be replaced with the same manufacturer and model. Make sure to inspect the entire device: frames, sump, screws, plaster rings, and spacers. Do not reuse old screws.


Hotels: provide sleeping accommodations for pay to transients in 5 or more rooms.
Motels: hotels that provide on premise parking for motor vehicles of guests and that requests to be identified as a “motel” rather than a “hotel”.
Tourist Rooming Houses: all lodging places and tourist cabins and cottages, other than hotels and motels, in which sleeping accommodations are offered for pay to tourists or transients.


Bed bugs are small wingless insects that feed by hematophagy - exclusively on the blood of warm blooded-animals. The most effective way to control bed bugs in your home is through a combination of chemical measures and heat treatments applied by a Pest Management Professional (PMP). Unfortunately, the service of a PMP can be costly. So we are providing information on how to control a bed bug infestation on your own. Find tips on how to prevent and get rid of bed bugs.


Campground sites are provided for overnight sleeping accommodations for not more than 8 continuous months in any 12 month period.

Environmental Health also investigates the following:

  • Asbestos hazards
  • Housing complaints
  • Human or animal rabies exposure
  • Lead based paint hazards
  • Nuisance complaints (garbage, odors, noise, pollution, etc)
  • Rodent and insect infestations
  • Other environmental hazards

Environmental Health informs and offers consultation for a variety of environmental health topics such as radon, asbestos, and lead.