Placing Structures or objects in Right-of-Way

Sometimes property owners want to build or place something on or above an adjacent City sidewalk, street, or other public way.  In order to do that lawfully, the property owner must first obtain a privilege for encroachment from the City (sometimes shortened to just "encroachment").  The state law on this topic is found in Wis. Stat. § 66.0425, and the City has created procedures for applying that law.  

The City Engineer reviews and grants encroachments, but the City Attorney's Office maintains the records of all new and existing encroachments.

If you are seeking to build something or place something in the right-of-way, please complete a Privilege for Encroachment Application (PDF).  That document will include an application form as well as instructions.