The Engineering Department designs improvements to the City's infrastructure in a safe, efficient, and cost effective manner to best serve the citizens of West Allis by providing:
- Safe and reliable conveyance of drinking water, sanitary sewage, and stormwater
- Quality roads, alleys, parking lots, and pedestrian walkways
- Recreational and park facilities
- Staff support for the Public Works Committee
Information about current construction projects can be found on the Construction in Progress Report page.
Visit the Public Works Committee page to learn more about what they do.
Capital Improvement Projects
The Engineering Department coordinates and administers many of the Capital Improvement Projects throughout the City of West Allis. These projects contain a wide range of activities such as:
- Constructing new facilities to meet City demands
- Rebuilding City streets and infrastructure
- Repairing City buildings
- Razing condemned buildings
- Directing the construction of electric, gas, and communication services
View the current Capital Improvement Projects (PDF) map here.
To receive RFP #23-009A DPW Facility Architectural Services, send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Due date is Sept. 12, 2023 at 4 p.m. CT.
The Engineering Department issues and enforces a number of permits and forms for the City. These include:
- Street Occupancy (Dumpster) Permits
- Commuter Impacted / Residential Daytime Parking Permits
- Residential & Commercial On-Street Parking Zones for Physically Disabled Persons
- Loading & Special Parking Zones
- Transportation of Oversize or Overweight Loads
- Street Excavation & Maintenance Permits
- Utility Provider Registration
More information on permits can be found on the Applications, Forms, & Permits page.
The Engineering Department provides technical and professional assistance to residents, contractors, and developers by:
- Assisting with the retrieval of infrastructure records
- Providing technical and utility information
- Reviewing development & redevelopment project plans